Height: 5'1"
Occupation: Legal clerk/Singer
How long have you danced: 14 years
Favorite Style of Dance: Jazz
Guilty Pleasure: Papa Haydn's Raspberry Gateau. Mmmmm...
Hometown: Tumon, Guam
Dosha Stylist: Kristina Paris
Favorite Trail Blazer: Martell Webster

Home
Previous Posts:
Pro Dance 2007

 RSS FEED

Archives

Blog Roll
My BlazerDancer Page
BlazerDancer Homepage
Mike Barrett's Blog
Blog Espanol
Oregon Live Blazer Blog


Practice, Practice, Practice...
posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 at 11:23 AM

The first few weeks of practice for us Blazer Dancers were pretty intense. If any girl failed to keep in shape during the off-season it definitely showed. Our practice begins with conditioning lead by three of our very own dancers. Marlene showed us how to lift weights and build longer, leaner muscles, Britney worked our abs using the medicine ball, and our coach Deedee worked the most important muscle for us dancers- the legs. We've only had a few practices and I already feel results. I'll tell you what I feel the most... SORENESS! I woke up every morning after practice, almost unable to move a muscle. I thought I was alone until I received emails from several of the other dancers expressing how soar they felt as well. But before you begin to think that the Blazer Dancers are out of shape, let me assure you that the conditioning is only the first part of practice.

Followed by conditioning is a new routine to learn. Melissa and I have been switching off with teaching the choreography we learned at ProDance. Immediately after the routine is taught and rehearsed a few times, the drilling and cleaning begins. This is one of the most exhausting parts of practice. The routine is danced full out but in sections. One mistake causes the entire team to start all over again. This process can last up to half an hour or more until the routine is finished and polished. After a quick water break we find a partner to critique us, and the routine is performed in small groups. This part is essential because it prepares you for the stress you might feel at a game. The last part of practice is the most difficult. It feels like a 30-minute cardio work out after dancing for two hours. Dee will proceed to play every routine we've learned so far. We are expected to mark the routine once, dance full out the second time, then with 10 seconds in between to catch our breath and find our spots, we perform the routine for our coach. One word: EXHAUSTING! By the second routine my muscles want to give in and collapse. This part of practice pushes us to dig deep for that last bit of energy.

After reviewing all of our routines, we grab our planners and sit for a quick meeting to go over promotional and charity appearances and such. Depending on the location of our practice, I sometimes have a long drive ahead of me to make it home. By the time I arrive, I am completely exhausted that it doesn't take me long to fall into a deep sleep. Although our practices might be tough, it only makes us stronger dancers and a better team! I am sure that Portland will enjoy watching the talent we have this year!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

=